Need Help? Call (704) 248-7683

What Can I Do if My Spouse is Cheating or Cheated on Me?

Author: Stephen Corby

Couples want a divorce for a variety of reasons and in a lot of cases, that reason is that their spouse was/is having an affair. This issue often the reason that couples separate and seek a divorce. People getting a divorce often inquire about “cheating lawsuits” and “affair lawsuits”. Although there is no direct way to sue one’s spouse or ex-spouse for having an affair, North Carolina does offer two lawsuits to bring against the cheating spouse’s “lover” or a third-party that interferes with the marriage. The lawsuits are separate and are called “alienation of affection” and “criminal conversation”. This article will explore each lawsuit separately in detail and explain the differences between the two.

North Carolina is one of the few states that still recognize “alienation of affection” and “criminal conversation”. Most states have abolished the torts because they view them as outdated and no longer relevant. However, North Carolina has chosen to follow the minority view. Criminal conversation and alienation of affection are still alive and well in this state. In most cases, the causes of actions are brought together, but they are actually two different actions with completely different elements to prove.

Why should you call
Stephen M. Corby for help?

We specialize in getting you back to the things that matter most. Let our team worry about your case, so you don’t have to. It's important to have an experienced attorney who will shoulder your legal burden to give you the room to address your family’s emotional needs.

Call us at (704) 248-7683 for a consultation.

Learn More about Stephen M. Corby

  • Commited
  • Transparent
  • Proactive
  • Straightforward
  • Respected Advocate
  • Great Value

“I understand this can be a confusing and emotional time. Let us be your partner. I create affordable solutions designed to empower you, and I'll guide you every step of the way.”





(704) 248-7683

101 N. McDowell Street, Suite 110
Charlotte, NC 28204

Copyright © 2014 Law Office of Stephen M. Corby, PLLC.

The Law Office of Stephen M. Corby provides this website and information regarding North Carolina divorce topics including separation agreements, equitable distribution, visitation, child support, spousal support and annulments as an informational resource. While we hope you find the information and content helpful, you should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of information or content in this website without seeking legal counsel from a competent attorney who is licensed in North Carolina and is informed of the specific facts and circumstances of your legal situation.